My name is Kim and I am 61. First I want to start off saying I do have a health challenge – Rheumatoid Arthritis – however I have never let that stop me from working out. I began the Group Training class on the first day it was offered in March 2015. Why did I start? I had been working out consistently for a long time with a trainer, on my own and attending Spin classes; although I was seeing improvements in my appearance/strength/endurance, I felt I needed to step it up a notch. (When working out alone I found I just wasn’t pushing myself to my max and I was not seeing the results as quickly as I wanted).
What were my initial goals? Lose weight, inches and body fat – blah, blah, blah. I pretty much knew what I was getting into when I joined the class however I did not foresee the changes I would see in my appearance, strength, endurance and fat loss!! Bernie summed up how the class works and how we all support and motivate each other, so I thought I would let you know the benefits I have experienced with consistent workouts:
- Within the first 3 months my endurance and stamina began increasing
- With consistency, I saw that I was adding more weight to my dumbbells/barbells and I was able to complete a workout routine without feeling like I was going to keel over
- I lost inches and my body fat decreased. Although my weight has stayed the same I have dropped two pant sizes
- I stand taller. My back is straighter because the muscles in my back are strong and they pull my shoulders back.
- My grip strength has improved. I am able to hold things tighter and don’t drop items
- My reflexes have improved
- I am more stable when I am standing/walking. My whole body feels stronger and evenly balanced.
- Endurance and Stamina continue to increase. I am able to push through workouts and recover quicker
- I am less injury prone
- I can eat more and stay the same weight – plus if I splurge every once in awhile I don’t feel guilty
- There are other benefits, as well, but I don’t have room to list those
The workouts are hard and challenging! I am not going to sugarcoat it and say I love working out. Some days I dread it and have to force myself to come.
However, walking in the front door of the gym is the hard part. Once I am with my workout buddies I know we are all in it together and am happy I came.
And….when the 50 minutes is over I may be exhausted but I have an exhilarating feeling of accomplishing a major challenge.
My advice is if you truly want to improve your physical appearance, health and well being you need to be consistent with your exercise, challenge yourself and work to your maximum. The Group Training Class will give you all of that. If you want more info and to talk to me about the class, please drop by any Monday, Wednesday or Friday at 4:30 (before class) or 5:30(after class) and I will gladly speak with you.